Making breakfast for a big family or when you have guests over can be a lot of work. You have to cook eggs in batches, and the cook can never sit down and enjoy the meal with the rest of the family. I used to dislike eating when everyone else had already finished or eating standing up while cooking someone else’s eggs until I discovered the beauty of breakfast casserole recipes.
They are the perfect food that lets you sit down and enjoy your meal with the rest of the family.
This Farmer’s Casserole recipe is so good. I make it at least twice a week and always when I have guests staying with us for a few days. You can even prepare this casserole the night before and bake it in the morning.
Farmers Breakfast Casserole is the best thing that happened to my mornings along with Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole, Easy Brunch Casserole, and my children’s all-time favorite is Breakfast Sausage Egg Boats so delicious looking, they are total crowd-pleasers.
Farmer’s Casserole Ingredients
- Hash brown potatoes. You can use shredded or diced hash brown potatoes. I like to use dice, but you can use shredded.
- Red and green bell peppers: they give great flavor and make the casserole look amazing.
- Green onions also make the casserole taste great, and I love their texture. I only use the green part of the onions.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese. I always recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking ingredients that prevent it from sticking but makes it hard to melt properly.
- Cubed ham. If you want to have a nice bite of ham, don’t use sliced ham but cubed ham. Buy a piece of fully cooked ham and dice it yourself.
- Eggs. Large organic eggs are the best choice.
- Evaporated milk makes the casserole creamy and fluffy.
- Garlic powder, salt, and pepper make great seasonings. I don’t like to add fresh garlic to breakfast recipes, so the powdered version is better. Be careful with the amount of salt because ham already has a lot of salt added.
How To Make Farmers Casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 350F. While the oven is heating, assemble the casserole in layers. For the first layer, place the frozen diced hash brown potatoes in an 8-inch baking dish along with the red and green bell peppers.
- The second layer is the shredded Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle it evenly over the potato/pepper mixture.
- For the third layer, sprinkle the cubed ham and green onions evenly on top of the shredded cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. You can use a fork, but I like to use a whisk to ensure that everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour the egg mixture over the assembled casserole and bake for 55-60 mins or until browned on top and a knife comes out clean.
What To Serve with Farmers Casserole?
Bread and fruit! The best side dishes for a complete breakfast. There are several bread recipes that you can try.
For a quick, no-yeast bread, try Homemade Cheese Bread. It has olives in it and is very tasty. If you have a bit more time, my favorite bread recipe is Dutch Oven No-Knead Bread. It is easy to make, and it comes out crusty and delicious.
You can also try Sweet and Moist Honey Cornbread if you are craving something sweet. You will love this luscious recipe.
Can You Freeze Farmers Casserole?
Yes, you can. I like to cut it into 6 pieces, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store them in freezer bags.
That way, I can take them out one by one and reheat them in the microwave. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.
- 3 cups diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 5 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the hash brown potatoes in an 8-inch baking dish along with the bell peppers
- Sprinkle the shredded Cheddar evenly on top
- Add the cubed ham and chopped green onions, and make sure they are evenly distributed
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Pour egg mixture over the potatoes and ham, and bake for 55-60 mins or until knife comes out clean when inserted
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Farmers Casserole gluten-free?
It is. No wheat products are used to make this recipe. Shred your cheese because there might be flour in some pre-shredded cheeses.
Can I make it the night before and reheat it in the oven the next morning?
You can, but you can also assemble the whole casserole (with the egg mixture included), cover it with plastic wrap, and bake it in the morning.
Can I use regular milk instead of evaporated milk?
You can. I like the flavor and creaminess that evaporated milk provides, but you can use regular milk.
Leave a Reply