This easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust literally changed my point of view regarding chicken pot pie. I used to make my own crust and bechamel sauce and it was t00 time-consuming. Using store-bought ingredients makes a huge difference!
My family loves it. It is the ultimate comfort food. Great for any occasion. You can serve it for dinner, brunch, take it with you on a picnic, or give it as a housewarming present.
If I had known this chicken pot pie recipe with cream of chicken soup would turn out so good, believe me, I would have baked it a lot more often.
Using store-bought pie crust also makes a world of difference. I also used “steam in the bag” frozen veggies and precooked chicken breast, so it took 10 minutes to assemble the whole thing. I am amazed that this Campbell’s soup chicken pot pie turned out even better than mine.
Never again will I slave over my made-from-scratch recipe! If you like this recipe, check out Homemade Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuit Crust and Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Casserole. They are also amazingly easy and delicious recipes.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Refrigerated pie crusts – I like refrigerated crusts better than frozen ones. I feel that the frozen ones sometimes break even when thawed.
- Frozen veggie mix – I love the frozen veggie mix that can be steamed in the microwave in its bag. It is so convenient, and the veggies are fresh. I used the mix with corn, peas, carrots, and green beans.
- Chicken breast – I like to buy packages of cooked diced chicken breast and keep them in the freezer for things like chicken salad, soup, or pies, but you can use fresh breasts and cook them yourself. Another great idea is to use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Condensed cream of chicken soup – this blew my mind. I have used it a lot but never to make the pot pie filling. I will never again do it from scratch.
- Milk – you can play with the amount of milk. I like my pie filling to hold its shape, but if you prefer a creamier filling, use ½ cup of milk.
- Homemade poultry seasoning – adding ½ teaspoon of this also makes a great difference.
- Egg wash – one egg beaten with one teaspoon of water is all you need to brush the crust to produce a shiny, golden, and perfect-looking crust.
How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie?
It is easy as pie, literally!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Steam the veggies in the mircrowave and inside the bag for 5 minutes (be sure the bag says steamable). Take them out of the microwave and let them rest for a couple of minutes.
- Combine the veggies, cooked diced chicken breast, condensed cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning using a medium-sized bowl. Using a rubber spatula, mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Take the pie crusts out of the fridge and unroll one of them on top of a 9-inch pie dish. Make sure to press the dough to the sides of the dish, so it adheres to it. Scoop the filling into the prepared pie dish and distribute it evenly.
- Unroll the second pie crust on top of the filling and pinch the edges to seal the top and the bottom crusts. Crimp the edges using your fingers to create a nice pattern.
- Whisk together the egg and one teaspoon of water and with a brush, apply the wash to the top and edges of the crust. Make a few slits on the crust so vapor can escape. Bake for 30-40 mins or until the crust is golden brown.
What To Serve with Chicken Pot Pie?
Salad and dessert! Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad is the perfect match. It is a very fresh salad that compliments the creamy pie filling perfectly.
For dessert, I love to make Apple Crumble, Blackberry Cobbler Recipe, or Pineapple Pretzel Fluff. I think fruity desserts are the perfect partners for Chicken pot pie!
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie?
It is a perfect meal to keep in the freezer. If you don’t want to keep your pie dish in the freezer for that long, use disposable foil pie dishes, make a couple, and store them for up to 4 months. Remember always to label them with the date and wrap them in plastic wrap plus aluminum foil.
How To Store and Reheat Chicken Pot Pie?
To Store, you should wrap any leftovers with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. If you want to add an extra layer of protection, stick the wrapped pie into a freezer bag.
To reheat, you can put the refrigerated piece of pie in the microwave for a couple of minutes. If the pie is frozen, I would thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the oven for 10-15 at 350F. If the crust is already brown, cover the pie with foil before sticking it in the oven.
- Make sure the veggies you buy are in a steamable bag if you steam them in the microwave. If you can’t find this kind, you can buy canned mixed veggies or cook fresh small dice veggies for a few minutes before adding them to the filling.
- Add ¼ cup milk to the filling if you like a firm pie, or ½ cup milk if you like a more soft and runny filling.
- Make sure the edges of both crusts are sealed together. For this, press the bottom pie crust to the sides of the dish until they extend a little over the edge, so the top crust and the bottom one get to meet, and you can press them together.
- Don’t forget to make the slits on the top crust before placing the pie in the oven, so vapor can escape while baking.
Are you a savory pie lover? Then I think you would love these:
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 - 9 inch deep dish refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 - 12 oz bag frozen “steam in bag” veggies
- 2 cups diced and cooked chicken breast
- 1 - 10.5 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon “Homemade Poultry Seasoning”
- I egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Steam veggies according to package instructions. In a medium-sized bowl, combine steamed veggies, cooked chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning and mix well. Preheat the oven to 350F
- Unroll one pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust
- Unroll the second pie crust on top of the filling and pinch the edges to seal
- Whisk one teaspoon of water into the beaten egg and brush over the top crust and edges of the pie. Bake for 30-40 mins or until the crust is golden brown. Make a few slits on the top so vapor can escape.
Leave a Reply