If you like buffalo wings, this dip is for you. All the great flavor of buffalo chicken wings, but in a creamy, cheesy dip made very easily using a crockpot.
Buffalo Chicken Dip in a crockpot is so easy you don’t even have to cook chicken. You buy canned chicken breast chunks, drop them in the crockpot along with reduced-fat cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, ranch dressing mix, and your favorite hot sauce.
Plug it in and leave it alone. In a couple of hours, you have the most amazing dip ever. And a healthy one too.
Using Greek yogurt instead of already-made ranch dressing reduces the calories by quite a bit, and you won’t even notice the difference.
I like to use reduced-fat cream cheese as well to cut the calories a bit further.
The texture and flavor of the dip won’t be affected by these small changes, and your heart will thank you for them.
Ingredients In Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chunk chicken breast: this dip is all about convenience. Buying canned chunk chicken makes it easier and faster.
- Reduced-fat cream cheese: I am all about eating less fat and fewer calories these days, so I choose to use reduced-fat cream cheese.
- Greek yogurt: I’ve been using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or ranch dressing for a while, and really the difference in texture and flavor is so small, I think it’s just a lot healthier to use yogurt.
- Ranch dressing powder: my go-to flavor secret. If you are watching your weight, please try mixing low-fat Greek yogurt and mixing it with ranch dressing powder instead of using the premade ranch dressing.
- Cheddar cheese: ok, no substitutes here. It’s a compromise. I choose to eat these calories just because it isn’t the same without them.
- Hot sauce: use your favorite hot sauce, and as much as you want, depending on the level of heat you like. I used Frank’s Red Hot.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip In A Crockpot
- Inside the pot of your crockpot, put the chunk chicken, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, ranch dressing powder, hot sauce, and ½ cup of shredded Cheddar cheese
- Set the crockpot on low for 3 hours. Halfway through, mix all ingredients using a fork
- 15 minutes before cook time is over, add the other ½ cup of shredded Cheddar cheese on top and finish cooking until cheese melts
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Well, it’s football season, so if you are hosting a party for this, or any other event, finger food is the way to go.
If you like spicy food, the Spicy Creole Shrimp Dip is definitely for you. Ok, so we got the dips down now. For some delicious finger food, try Homemade Hot Dogs. They are always a crowd-pleaser. Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken bites are another great option. And to add a few carbs, Patatas Bravas are the best! They are crispy and spicy bites of deliciousness!
Can You Reheat Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Absolutely! Store it in the fridge or freezer, and when you’re ready to use it, stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. It’ll be as good as a freshly made dip.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- This recipe is a reduced-calorie recipe. I can tell you there is no significant difference with the full-calorie version, but if you prefer to make the original version, use regular cream cheese and ranch dressing instead of Greek yogurt and ranch dressing powder.
- Do you want to go all-natural? Cook and shred your own chicken. It’s a bit more time-consuming, but it’s better than using canned chunk chicken if you have the time.
- Always check the dip. Not all crockpots cook the same, and it may be done before the three-hour mark. Look for a bubbly hot dip. That’s all you want. Too much time, and it may burn at the edges.
- The amount of hot sauce is just a suggestion. If you like spicier food, add a bit more, and if you don’t like spicy hot food, use less hot sauce.
- I like that crust of melted cheese on top, but if you don’t want to be checking the dip, make sure to mix all ingredients when you put them into the crockpot at the beginning and add all the shredded cheese at once and mix it in too.
Buffalo Chicken Dip In A Crock Pot
- 1 10oz can chunk chicken breast, drained
- 1-8 oz brick of reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 envelope ranch dressing powder
- ½ cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Celery sticks and chips for serving
- Put the drained chicken chunk meat, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, ranch dressing powder, hot sauce, and ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese into the pot of the crockpot.
- Turn the setting to 3 hours on low heat.
- Halfway through the cooking time, grab a fork and mix all ingredients. By this time, the cream cheese should be soft. Make sure everything is well combined, and try not to smear too much on the sides of the pot.
- Make sure to check the dip once in a while. Not all crockpots are created equal, and some may cook faster than others. 15 minutes before the cooking time is over, or when you see it bubbling, add the remaining ½ cup shredded Cheddar. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe keto?
Make sure to check the label on the hot sauce you use to ensure it doesn’t have too many sugars added.
The rest of the ingredients are all low carb, so great for keto diets. Frank’s Red Hot is keto-friendly.
- Can I use any cream cheese?
Yes, you can. I really haven’t tried it with whipped cream cheese, but all the other options are great.
- Can I prepare Buffalo Chicken Dip ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Mix it all up, cook it, let it cool down, and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days and the freezer for up to 4 months.
- What is the best hot sauce for Buffalo Chicken Dip?
The answer is: your favorite hot sauce is the best. I like Frank’s Red Hot. I think it’s the one that tastes more like buffalo to me.
It has a bit of added butter, which makes a huge difference in the taste. But use the one you like the most.
If you are using a really hot one, reduce the suggested amount.