What could be more beautiful than pastries with which you do not need to mess around for a long time? One, two, three cake – this is about Apple Coffee Cake.
All you need to do is mix all the ingredients in one bowl, pour it into a baking dish, and top it with apples. Together with the preparation of the glaze, it will take you no more than 10 minutes.
What do I need to make an apple coffee cake?
You will need a few simple ingredients to make this cake. This is a white cake mix, apple pie filling, eggs, sour cream, water, and cinnamon.
If you don’t have the first two ingredients on hand, you can cook them yourself from scratch if you have the time. Just google a little) You can also replace the white cake mix with yellow.
On top of all this, you need confectioners’ sugar and milk for the glaze.
How to make Apple Pie Filling Coffee Cake?
- Preheat oven to 350F, brush with oil, and flour on a baking dish (use 9 * 13 inches).
In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients from the list: white cake mix, eggs, sour cream, water, and cinnamon. Mix with a whisk or mixer until smooth.
- Pour the dough into a prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the apple pie filling over the batter, covering the entire surface.
The apples are partially dipped in the dough and the cake is baked through the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then test the cake with a toothpick. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk and mix thoroughly. If the glaze is too thick, add milk over a teaspoon. Sprinkle the glaze on the cake and serve.
Does apple coffee cake need to be refrigerated?
After baking, you can cool the cake for 10-20 minutes so that the coated glaze does not spread over the hot cake, but hardens faster.
It is of course best to store the finished cake in the refrigerator.
This will extend its shelf life up to a week. At room temperature, it can be stored for no more than 2 days.
- Optionally, you can use the yellow cake mix instead of the white one.
- For a special flavor, you can add a pinch of nutmeg to the dough or sprinkle crushed nuts over apples.
- You can make two small cakes by dividing the dough in half.
Can you freeze the apple coffee cake?
Yes, to do this, wait until the cake has completely cooled down. Then wrap the cake with plastic wrap and foil. Or fold in an airtight container with a lid.
Store in the freezer for about 2 months.
Defrost the cake overnight in the refrigerator before use, or reheat in the oven. To do this, place the pie in a cold (!) oven and set the temperature to 250F.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Apple Pie Filling Coffee Cake
- 1 pkg white cake mix (2 layer)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 c sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c water
- 1 (21oz) can apple pie filling
- 1 c confectioners' sugar
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl with a mixer until smooth. Pour the dough into a greased 9 * 13 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the apple pie filling on top of the dough, covering the entire surface. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Make the glaze with milk and confectioners' sugar and sprinkle over the cooled cake.
Would this work with putting a streusel topping on before baking?
Ade this for a class at church. Got up early to make it. They loved it and were impressed it was still warm. Will make it many more times…so easy!!
Easy and very good. Will make again for sure. Not overly sweet. May try using pineapple. Combinations are endless. Good Job!
How wonderful, Sharon! So glad you decided to give it a try!
Was looking for a recipe like this & SO glad I found yours. Made it yesterday & IT IS outstanding awesome cake. Really delicious. Actually, made it for a friend who had a b-day recently & I’d promised him a cake. Told him I had to try a sample slice because I’d never made it before. I had my own fresh apple pie filling prepped frozen (had some fresh maybe 2 months ago before my apples got bad) & used that instead of canned. Also sprinkled about 1/2 C chopped pecans on top while baking. Delicious for sure. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Can’t wait to try it w choc cake & cherries on top.
Oh my goodness you are so kind Maribel. Thanks so much for the 5 star rating!
IT IS SO GOOD!!! I added a 1 tsp of instant coffee and little bit more of cinnamon !!!
So glad you loved it! Thanks so much for the 5 star rating!
Really delicious! For some reason my pie filling sunk to the bottom but didn’t affect the flavor. Will make again and experiment with different cake and pie filling flavors! Thank You
I made this tonight and it exceeded my expectations! So flavorful for such a simple recipe. I did cook it about 10min less then the recommended time but otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
So glad you loved it! Thanks so much for the 5-star rating!
When Fall rolls around again, I’m going to make this with spice cake : )
How wonderful, Gail! So glad you decided to give it a try!
Do you think I could use CHERRY pie filling? I have 4 cans that I have no idea what to make with.
I haven’t tried it, but I think it’s a good idea.
Above all, use an equivalent amount of pie filling.
Morning! Any chance you can make this with other fruit fillings – like raspberry?
Hi Kelly, I’m not sure about raspberries, but I think they will be delicious! But peaches, apricots, or pears will definitely fit here!
This is AMAZING!!!