Wild rice recipe is an easy-to-cook but very effective meal. The easiest way to use wild rice as a side dish for meat, poultry, and fish. It is also great for making salads, casseroles, soups, sushi, and pilaf variations.
But my favorite recipe is a salad of wild rice, orange, green grapes, pomegranate, pecans, dried cranberries, and green onions! Use wild rice recipe and be creative in your kitchen. Well, if you treat guests, then it should be the most beautiful food.
What is Wild Rice? What is the difference between True Versus Cultivated Wild Rice?
Wild rice is not really rice, but “watergrass”. It has an unusual sweetish taste and nutty aroma. Most supermarkets sell cultivated wild rice. It is grown under controlled conditions in artificial rice fields.
Real wild rice grows independently in the wild on rivers and in marshy areas. For example, hand-assembled real wild rice from lakes and rivers in Minnesota and Canada can be very expensive.
Up to $ 9 per pound. While cultivated wild rice costs between 3 and 5 dollars per pound.
Why is Wild Rice So Expensive?
Wild rice is harvested manually because so far this process cannot be automated. Wild rice grows in the swamps and since no one planted it, it grows anyhow.
Accordingly, it is very difficult to develop the right technique. Thus, they use hired labor of people.
How do you make wild rice better?
You can easily improve and diversify the taste of wild rice recipe by replacing water with broth. Use beef, chicken or vegetable stock as desired.
Do you have to soak wild rice before cooking?
Of course, it is better to soak wild rice in cold water overnight. Especially if you have extra time, or today you decide what you will cook tomorrow.
This life hack will reduce cooking time by about half. Besides, rice without soaking is also perfectly cooked. The main thing is to check the cooking time. On different packages, the time can vary from 30 to 45 minutes.
What can I add to wild rice?
For a taste variety, you can try many different options. Garlic, ginger, black pepper, and butter are great. To do this, melt the butter in a pan, add garlic and other spices.
Pour the washed rice into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add boiling water or broth and continue cooking in the usual way.
Thus, you can add onion powder, parsley, or thyme if desired.
How to freeze cooked wild rice?
After your recipe is ready, drop it into a colander, and drain the excess liquid. After this, pack the rice in airtight containers or bags for freezing.
Packing will quickly get the right amount of rice at the right time. It can be stored in this way for six months. Before use, defrost it overnight in the refrigerator.
How To make Wild Rice Step by step:
- Soak wild rice in water overnight. This will reduce cooking time. If you do not have time, or you have forgotten, then rinse it very well and start cooking.
- Put one cup of washed rice in a deep saucepan and fill it with water. I use boiling water. The required proportion is 1: 3. That means we take 1 cup of rice for three cups of water.
- Add half a teaspoon of salt, cover and put on the stove. Cook on low heat.
- After half an hour, check the rice. Spread the rice with a spatula so that the bottom of the pan is visible. Try a few grains. If the rice has “opened”, if it is already soft and there is no water at the bottom – everything is ready! If the rice is still crunching, you can freely add a little more boiling water to cook the rice.
- Put the rice in a bowl, garnish with parsley and serve.
Preparation tips to make wild rice:
To cook this recipe more deliciously – replace the water with broth. It can be beef, chicken, or vegetable broth.
You can speed up the cooking time using a slow cooker.
If you worry that the water can boil away quickly or you cannot follow the cooking process – add more water. In fact, just drain the excess water.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, MEXICAN RICE RECIPES
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed well
- 3 cups of water * (or vegetable, chicken or beef stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Soak the rice in water overnight or just rinse it.
- Pour 3 cups of boiling water over one cup of rice.
- Add half a teaspoon of salt and place on a stove to cook.
- After half an hour, the rice should “open” and be soft. If necessary, add boiling water and continue cooking.
- Serve wild rice garnished with herbs if desired.
- Ideally, soak the rice in cold water overnight. You will reduce cooking time.
- Do not neglect the proportion of water to rice. One cup of rice needs 3 cups of water.
- Carefully read the cooking instructions on your packaging. Cooking time can vary from 30 to 45 minutes. The longer the cooking time, the more water you will need. You can increase the amount of water to 3.5-4 cups.
Leave a Reply