Pumpkin shortbread bars are one of my favorite treats. First, there is a lot of pumpkin puree here. You know it is a vegetable, and it’s healthy! Secondly, this soft and tender pie turns out to be very satisfying. You can serve it as a dessert or even as an independent dish.
It contains very simple and affordable ingredients: eggs, solid-pack pumpkin, and sugar. The crust is made from flour, butter, and sugar. Oh yes, spices! I add ground cinnamon, ginger, and cloves here.
But you can easily experiment by adding your favorite spices (such as cardamom or nutmeg) or using ready-made pumpkin spice.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SHORTBREAD SQUARES?
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Add diced cold butter and grind with a special knife, fork, or fingers into small crumbs. If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the flour.
- Press the dough into a 13 * 9-inch baking dish, this can be easily done with a flat bottom cup.
- In another bowl, combine remaining sugar, pumpkin puree, salt, spices, lightly beaten eggs, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the evaporated milk mixture, stir until smooth. Pour the filling over the dough layer and place in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until the filling set.
- Cool the pie on the wire rack, refrigerate overnight. Cut into bars, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground cinnamon as desired.
HOW LONG DOES PUMPKIN SHORTBREAD BARS LAST?
Considering that pumpkin pie squares with shortbread crust contain milk and eggs, the shelf life is not long. They keep well in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
CAN PUMPKIN SHORTBREAD BE FROZEN?
Yes, the pumpkin slices recipe is suitable for freezing. To do this, first cool the pumpkin pie on a wire rack at room temperature.
Wrap the dish with cling film, then foil and put in the freezer. The shelf life is about 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours before use.
TIPS FOR MAKING PUMPKIN PIE BARS:
- If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the flour.
- You can make pumpkin puree yourself. Bake the pumpkin pieces in the oven until soft, punch with a blender. Place on a sieve and drain off excess liquid.
- You can replace evaporated milk with half and half or 10% drinking cream.
HOW DO YOU STORE PUMPKIN PIE BARS?
It is best to store pumpkin pie bars with crust in the refrigerator. Cover the baking dish tightly with a sheet of foil or cling film and refrigerate.
After cooling, you may notice moisture on top of the pumpkin layer. This arises from temperature changes and there is nothing to worry about. Simply blot lightly with a paper towel and serve.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love
Pumpkin Shortbread Dessert
- 1-3 / 4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1 / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- Whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon, optional
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and cold butter. Grind everything into crumbs, press into a 13 * 9-inch baking dish.
- In a deep bowl, combine the remaining sugar, pumpkin, salt, spices, eggs, and combine. Pour in evaporated milk, stir until smooth, pour over a layer of dough.
- Bake in preheated to 425 F oven for about 50 minutes, or until filling settles. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate overnight. Cut into portions, garnish with whipped cream, sprinkle with ground cinnamon.