Lemon is a flavour booster. It is a vitamins booster, too. Lemons are adored and hated leaving nobody indifferent. Lemons are desserts essentials, too. The key position in this recipe belongs to lemons. These world’s most popular citrus fruits cultivate vitamin C and are respected by confectioners. Aren’t we all confectioners in our own kitchens? We are, and we prepare the Lemon Bars recipe today.
Lemon Bars Recipe
Our Lemon Bars Recipe differs from the classic one and calls only for 2 main ingredients. You’ll need only a box of angel food cake and a can of lemon pie filling. Another good news is that you can even be totally new person to baking! Nothing complicated, just combine angel food cake mix with and a lemon pie filling…and the dough for our lemon bars recipe is ready. Bake, top with confectioners’ sugar (optional) and enjoy!
☞ Why are my lemon bars runny?
The two significant requirements toward anything that is going to be cooked are not to be underdone as well as not to be overdone. In the case of lemon bars, they may be runny if undercooked. Keep them in the oven until they start to turn golden and are no longer wobbly in the centre.
☞ Why did my lemon bars crack?
A good recipe is not enough for good pastry. You have to keep an eye at every detail. One of these is the temperature. Adjust the required temperature and try to avoid overheating. Make sure you don’t over-bake your lemon bars setting the timer for the exact time the recipe recommends. Your lemon bars will never crack!
☞ How to know when lemon bars are done?
When the top of lemon bars is golden and springs back when you touch it lightly, they are done. By the way, the toothpick test can fool you on lemon bars. The toothpick can slip right through the porous batter and come out clean even if bars haven’t finished baking.
☞ Why are my lemon bars brown on top?
You have noticed that your lemon bars got brown on tops and that upsets you? That’s nothing of the problem, sugar always browns the surface of pastry in the hot oven, but next time let it bake a minute or two less than required or put the temperature lower before removing them from the oven.
How to make LEMON BARS RECIPE
- Step 1 Place angel food cake mix into a large bowl. Add a can of lemon pie filling and mix to combine. Use your hand or spatula to make the batter. Mix it slowly, otherwise, angel food cake mix can go all over your kitchen.
- Step 2 If you want to take your lemon bars more easily from the baking pan, grease your pan with a tablespoon of butter and line with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper sticks down really well. Pour the batter into the prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- Step 3 Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden on top. When ready, remove from the oven and let cool. Cut the cake into bars of your desired size. Sprinkle your bars with confectioners’ sugar if you want and enjoy!
BAKING TIPS FOR LEMON BARS
- If you prefer more lemony taste of your bars, add some lemon zest to the batter before making.
- Do not follow the instructions on the angel food cake mix. It won’t work if you add liquid to the cake mix. All you need is to add pie filling to receive butter.
- If you like experiments in your kitchen, you can try to prepare similar bars with other tastes. Just swap lemon pie filling to some other pureed pie filling, pumpkin for example.
☞ Can you freeze lemon bars?
Lemon bars are not for storage, they are for taste and enjoyment! Though, it is such a challenge for your diet. Never mind, they are stored perfectly in the freezer. Thus, you will keep in mind that there is always something delicious to cheer you up.
☞ How to store lemon bars?
The best way to store lemon bars is to transfer them to the freezer of the fridge. You will be praised if you cover them in plastic wrap to protect from the other smells not so perfect as a lemon flavour and from drying out, too. All in all, the best way to store lemon bars is not to store but to enjoy immediately!
☞ How long do lemon bars last?
They are well kept in a fridge if they are meant to be eaten within a day or two. They will last up to several days wrapped in wax paper, plastic wrap or placed into a plastic box.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, LEMON BARS RECIPES
EASY 2 INGREDIENT LEMON BARS RECIPE
- 1 box angel food cake
- 1 can lemon pie filling (21 oz)
- 1 tbsp butter for greasing (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
- Combine angel food cake mixture with a lemon pie filling.
- Grease baking pan with butter, line with parchment paper and pour in the batter.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars. Top with confectioners' sugar if you want and serve!
- Use a one-step angel food cake for this recipe. No other than angel food cake mix that requires only adding liquid will work in this recipe.
- The gluten-free angel food cake mix also won’t work.