My friends love to have gastro parties. We often meet on different occasions – common holidays, birthdays of children and adults. What can we say, we often meet for no reason? And of course, we love a tasty meal. Recently, we arranged a potluck party when everyone brings their own dish. Without thinking twice, I decided to cook these delicious subs.
Firstly, it is very tasty, secondly, it’s easy and quick to cook for a large company.
What is so special about them?
The Italian meatball recipe is very simple – use fresh ground beef, delicious cheese, and fresh herbs. Of course, do not forget about the fresh French Bread or Sub Rolls and sauce marinara. Do not be lazy and knead the minced meat very well with your hands. The better it is mashed, the softer and tastier the meatballs will be.
For a change, you can add other ingredients to the meatballs, such as grated potatoes, celery, grated carrots, and beets. Focus on your taste. You can use only basic ingredients, but you can add something else to your liking. Also, if you do not have an egg, it does not matter. You can cook meatballs without it. Without an egg, meatballs are even more tender.
WHAT DO YOU PUT ON A MEATBALL SUB?
Be very careful about filling the bun, this will allow you to truly enjoy the taste. Delicate juicy meatballs laid out on a crispy bun and topped with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
WHAT HAS THE BEST MEATBALL SUB?
The meatballs include ground beef with enough fat, Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Those are basic ingredients, but you can add something else to your taste, both ingredients, and seasonings.
WHAT CHEESE IS THE BEST ON THE MEATBALL SUB?
Any cheese that melts well is suitable for the top of meatballs. The most ideal are provolone, mozzarella, and cheddar. I like to alternate tastes, so every time I cook with different cheese.
WHAT ARE THE BEST FROZEN MEATBALLS?
For cooking subs, you can use both fresh and frozen meatballs. It is very convenient to cook meatballs in advance and freeze. And if necessary, use it after preliminary defrosting.
TIPS TO MAKE ITALIAN MEATBALL SUBS
- Make sure the meatballs have enough fat, cheese, and greens to make them juicy.
- Meatballs can be put in subs as whole or halves.
- Brioche, French bun or Italian sub rolls are great for those sandwiches.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN MEATBALL SUBS
Italian Meatball Subs
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef (preferably 80/20)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 large Egg
- 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3/4 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (high-quality)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Italian Parsley (diced)
- 24-32 ounces Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese (or more depending on taste)
- 4 Sliced French Bread or Sub Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix ground beef with egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Shape into medium bite-size balls. Cook in a hot skillet, turning until completely cooked. It takes 5-7 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring the Mariana sauce to a boil, put the meatballs in it and simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat.
- Cut the buns into two in the middle, but not completely. Sprinkle two halves of olive oil and dry in the oven.
- Put marinara sauce, meatballs on crispy buns, pour the sauce on top again and sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- Put again in the oven and cook until the mozzarella is melted. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.