Today I joyfully rub my hands and burn with impatience to share with you a delicious recipe. After all, I cooked the famous Crack pie! And while my mouth eats up the last piece of this treat, my fingers will write you some interesting information.
Milk Bar Crack Pie Recipe
Without exaggeration, I will say that this cake has a scandalous reputation. Initially, this name was invented due to the fact that the cake is fantastically tasty and addictive.
In fact, this is a gourmet crack and it will delight your taste buds like never before. The change came after an ongoing controversy when the name appeared about the addictive nature of crack cocaine.
Then the name of the cake became offensive and literally last year its creator renamed Milk Bar Pie. If you asked Is Milk Bar Pie the same as crack pie? – my answer is “yes”.
How to make Milk Bar Crack Pie;
Oat cookies: Ingredient counts for two 9-inch pies. If you want to make 1 pie, divide all the ingredients in half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat with a mixer the softened (or slightly melted) butter with sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the yolk and beat at medium speed for several minutes.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mix again.
- Add oatmeal and mix until a dough is formed.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment, put the greasy dough in it, and smooth with a spatula or hand to 1/4 inch thick. (The easiest way is to cover the dough with cling film, roll out with a rolling pin and remove the film). The dough will not cover the baking sheet, it should be so.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
- Break the cookies into pieces, put them in a blender. Add brown sugar, salt, and beat until sandy.
- Pour the crushed cookies into a bowl. Pour the melted butter and knead the dough with your hands until it collects in a lump. (If necessary, add some more butter).
- Line the baking dish with parchment. (I cut a circle equal to the diameter of the bottom of the baking dish, leaving 4 strips. This makes it easy to get the pie out of the mold and preserves the embossed edges.) Spread the dough for the pie on the baking dish forming the sides, the diameter of my mold is 9 inches. Put in the refrigerator.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a mixer bowl at low speed. This is necessary so that the filling becomes thick and sticky, and not loose and airy. Add melted butter and mix until all dry ingredients are wet.
- Pour in thick fat cream and vanilla, mix until the white cream mark disappears.
- Add egg yolks to the mixer, mix at a slow speed. Egg yolks should be as large as possible (try big eggs).
- Pour the filling equally into both prepared dough baskets and bake for 20 minutes at 350 F. After 20 minutes, open the oven door and lower the temperature to 325 F without removing your pies. The filling can still move in the center, but not in the outer circle. After 5 minutes, close the oven door and bake another 10-15 minutes. Check the pie, if the filling is too liquid, you can cover it with a sheet of foil on top and bake until it hardens.
- Cool the pie at room temperature, then put it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, and preferably at night. This time is necessary to condense the filling.
- Sprinkle your pie with confectioners ’sugar before serving. Garnish with fresh mint leaves or berries as desired.
- If you are in a hurry, skip the step of preparing oatmeal cookies and buy a finished one. Something like Graham Cracker.
- Before serving, for even greater variety, you can decorate the cake with fresh berries or mint leaves.
HOW LONG DOES CRACK PIE LAST?
If you are going to eat a cake in the near future, it is advisable to cool it before serving. It is perfectly stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Just cover it with cling film so that it does not dry out and that it does not absorb odors from the refrigerator. Also, you can pack it tightly and put it in the freezer for storage for up to one month.
looking for more recipe pie:
- Keto French Silk Pie
- No-bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Pie
- Perfect Apple Pie Cookies
- Pecan Pie Muffins
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 recipe Oat Cookie (recipe follows)
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 recipe Crack Pie Filling (recipe follows)
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Oat Cookie
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tbsp. white sugar, granulated
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- pinch baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Crack Pie Filling
- 1 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c. white sugar, granulated
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 c. corn powder (corn powder is defined as freeze-dried corn, ground to a fine powder)
- 1/4 c. milk powder
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 large egg yolks
- Beat with a mixer the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the yolk, beat for a few minutes.
- Pour all dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment lay out the dough and even out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F, cool.
- Fill the cookies in a blender, add sugar, salt and whisk until sand.
- Pour in the melted butter, knead the dough until it collects in a lump.
- Spread the dough on the baking dish forming the sides.
- Put in the refrigerator.
- Combine all dry ingredients, add melted butter.
- Pour in the cream and vanilla, mix until the white trace of cream disappears.
- Add the egg yolks, mix at a slow speed.
- Pour the filling into the prepared dough basket.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350F. After 20 minutes, open the oven door and lower the temperature to 325 F.without removing your pies.
- After 5 minutes, close the oven door and bake another 10-15 minutes.
- Cool your pies and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- I immediately divided all the ingredients in half and made only one pie. Leave the amount of starch unchanged.
- Do not use too large a shape. 8-9 inches just right.
- It is more convenient to prepare the filling by stirring with a hand whisk.
- Try to carefully separate the yolks from the egg whites. This is best done with clean hands. Egg white will give density to the filling, but we do not need it at all! Then you can use egg whites to make the meringue, nougat, or peanut butter. In addition, egg whites are perfectly stored in the freezer, without losing their consistency.
- Try to use the filling immediately before it becomes too thick due to corn starch.