This easy Mexican casserole with ground beef is cheesy and comforting. It is perfect for feeding the entire family.
The layers of the casserole include creamy beans, tomatoes with green chiles, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, ground beef cooked with bell peppers and onion, and mixed together with brown rice and Greek yogurt.
Bake it in the oven to melt the cheese and get it nice and warm. Serve this Mexican casserole with ground beef with chips, salsa, and guacamole!
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CASSEROLE WITH GROUND BEEF FROM SCRATCH
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Chop the onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper.
- Step 2: Add the olive oil to a medium-sized skillet and cook over medium heat, then add the onions and bell peppers. Stir while cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, salt, and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until the beef is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 4: Stir in the rice and yogurt.
- Step 5: Layer the casserole in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes uncovered.
HOW TO LAYER A MEXICAN CASSEROLE
This Mexican casserole has five layers. Here is how you layer the casserole:
- Step 1. Spread the beans onto the bottom of a baking dish, then sprinkle the cheeses on top.
- Step 2. Add the tomatoes and green chiles next.
- Step 3. Then, add the ground beef mixture.
- Step 4. Finally, top the casserole with more shredded cheese before baking in the oven!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MEXICAN CASSEROLE?
This Mexican casserole with ground beef is best served with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, green onion, olives, and tortilla chips.
CAN YOU FREEZE MEXICAN CASSEROLE?
Yes! Let the casserole cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe air-tight container and freeze.
You can store this Mexican casserole with ground beef for up to 3 months.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT MEXICAN CASSEROLE
- Prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time, so when it is time to assemble to casserole all of the chopping and cooking are done! The cooked ground beef can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days ahead of time.
- You can use additional seasonings (garlic powder, paprika, etc.).
- For a healthier casserole, you can swap the ground beef for ground turkey and choose low-fat yogurt and refried beans.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- CHICKEN BACON RANCH CASSEROLE WITH POTATOES
- TACO CASSEROLE
- HEALTHIER BROCCOLI CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- EGG CASSEROLE (EGG BAKE)
- LOW CARB MEXICAN CASSEROLE
- CHEESY HAMBURGER CASSEROLE
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can reduced-fat refried beans
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Chopped green onions for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Chop the onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a medium-sized skillet and cook over medium heat, then add the onions and bell peppers. Stir while cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, salt, and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until the beef is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and yogurt.
- Layer the casserole in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes uncovered.