Hunan Chicken is quick and easy to cook the dish. Fragrant and spicy sauce, soft chicken and tender vegetables – all this is a great combination!
The more I cook, the more I want to try out new recipes. I often perceived Chinese cuisine only as a takeaway. But everything changed when I began to master the methods and subtleties of cooking at home.
It turned out that everything is very simple.
Hunan Chicken is a classic Chinese dish that everyone will love. The recipe uses white meat from chicken breast. When cooked properly, such meat will be soft and juicy.
The meat is cooking with vegetables in a spicy sauce. Surprise loved ones and delight them with homemade Chinese food.
What is the difference between Hunan chicken and Szechuan chicken?
There are many Chinese chicken dishes. But Hunan chicken and Sichuan chicken cause the most misunderstanding. Both Hunan and Sichuan are Chinese provinces.
Both cuisines are spicy, salted, and served with steamed rice. What are the differences?
Hunan Chicken contains the following ingredients:
oyster sauce, rice wine, garlic, chicken stock, soy sauce, ginger, as well as a large number of vegetables. All this is seasoned with sauce and tastes like “Dry heat”.
Sichuan Chicken uses chives, garlic, ginger, Sichuan pepper, dried red chili. There is no sauce or vegetables in this recipe. And the taste has characteristics of spicy with mouth-numbing sensation.
What does Hunan chicken have in it?
To cook Hunan chicken, you need to chop the chicken breast into thin slices. Put all the pieces in a large bag, add corn starch, and shake well.
Fry in oil over high heat on both sides and set aside. Add broccoli, zucchini, bamboo shoots, garlic, ginger, and mushrooms to the pan. Fry until soft. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
Return the chicken to the pan and pour the sauce over everything. Cook until thickened sauce, then serve immediately.
How to store Hunan chicken?
After cooling, put everything in a container with a lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Store in the freezer for about 3 months.
What is hot Hunan chicken?
This is an authentic spicy dish with hot pieces of chicken breast and vegetables. All this is complemented with delicious Hunan sauce. To create salty and spicy flavors, this recipe uses a spicy paste of chili beans.
The dish comes from Hunan Province in the south of central China. Hunan cuisine was famous for its pungency and fat content.
Does Hunan chicken have vegetables?
Unlike Sechuan chicken, Hunan cook with vegetables. The composition includes broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms. Sweet peppers and carrots are also used.
TIPS TO MAKE Hunan chicken
– You can boil broccoli a little for 2 minutes in boiling water before adding to the pan.
– Many chefs salt all the ingredients as they cook. There is enough salt in the sauce for me, so I don’t use extra.
– Sprinkle the finished dish on top with sesame seeds.
– For a change, add sweet red pepper or carrots to the dish.
– If your sauce is not thick enough, add a little more starch or flour.
– The degree of spiciness and temperature of the dish, adjust the amount of chili paste to your taste.
Want more Chinese Food Recipes?
HOW TO MAKE Easy Hunan chicken
- HUNAN Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts shaved thinly
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 green zucchini cut into half-moon shapes
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced thinly
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 can bamboo shoots drained
- HUNAN SAUCE
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek chili paste
- Heat oil in a pan. Slice the chicken breast into thin slices and put it in a large bag. Add the corn starch, close the bag and shake it so that the whole chicken becomes starchy.
- Fry, spreading in a pan in one layer. Cook quickly, over high heat, for 2-3 minutes, frying on both sides. Put out of the pan.
- Add garlic, ginger, mushrooms, zucchini, bamboo shoots and broccoli to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables is soft.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the sauce and mix. Cook over high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot, serve with rice or noodles.
- To easily chop chicken breast into thin slices, put it in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Fry the chicken in a pan laying out in one layer. If you lay out the whole amount at once, the chicken will give a lot of liquid. It will cook, not fry. It will take longer to evaporate the excess liquid. The chicken will become dry and stiff.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT