What summer dessert could be better than creamy lemon squares? I don’t know. These sunny lemon squares have a sweet lemon taste and amazing lemon flavor. For me, it’s like lemonade squares.
How to make lemon squares?
Cook these yummy treats for your friends this summer. These sweet lemon squares consist of only 6 ingredients and I think you probably all of them in your kitchen right now.
- preheat oven to 350°F. Make graham cracker crumbs. Add 24 squares of graham crackers to the food processor. Pulse until crumbly.
- Add 4 tbsp of melted butter and ¼ cup of sugar. Pulse until completely combined.
- Grease 8-inch square baking pan with melted butter. Then, line with parchment paper. Don’t forget to leave some paper hanging on two sides, it will help to unmold the creamy lemon squares after baking.
- Make the crust. Add the mix of graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar, to the pan. Press it firmly into the bottom of the pan and make the 1 inch up the sides of the pan to create a crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the crust cool completely in the pan.
- Make the creamy lemon filling. While crust is cooling, whisk 14 oz condensed milk with 2 egg yolk until smooth.
- Add ½ cup fresh lemon juice to the creamy lemon mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour this mixture into the cooled crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is browned.
- Let the creamy square cool completely in a pan. Then, remove the lemon square from the pan using hanging parchment paper and cut it into 16 mini squares or 9 bigger squares.
- You can add more lemon flavor by adding some fresh lemon zest.
- If your creamy lemon filling is too runny, you can add 1 tbsp cornstarch to make it more firm.
- Refrigerate the creamy lemon squared before cutting, it will make them more firm and it will be easier to cut.
- Wipe the knife with a towel while cutting the creamy lemon squares.
- Store creamy lemon squares in a single layer in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
how long do lemon squares last?
You can store creamy lemon squares in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. By the way, it is better to cool these yummy lemon squares in the refrigerator before serving; it will make them firm.
why are my lemon squares runny?
There are a few reasons why it can happen. First, creamy lemon squares can be runny if you under-bake them. Second, they can be runny if you add too much lemon juice.
Third, lemon squares can be runny if you haven’t whisked the wet ingredients completely until smooth. Also, you can add 1 tbsp flour or 1 tbsp cornstarch to prevent your lemon squares from running.
do you need to refrigerate lemon squares?
It isn’t necessary to refrigerate lemon squares, but they will be more firm if you refrigerate them for 30 minutes after they have cooled to room temperature.
Can you freeze lemon squares;
Yes, these creamy lemon squares freeze very well. Let them completely cool in the pan if you want to freeze them. Then, remove the lemon square from the pan using hanging parchment paper.
Don’t cut it into small squares, it will be easier to cut the creamy lemon after freezing. Cover the creamy lemon square with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Lemon squares can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. You can thaw them at room temperature or in the refrigerator. *If you want to freeze cut lemon squares, just be sure to do it in one layer to prevent sticking.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, LEMON RECIPES
Creamy Lemon Squares
For the crust:
- - 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted;
- - 24 squares graham crackers;
- - ¼ cup of sugar.
For the lemon filling:
- - 2 egg yolks;
- - 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk;
- - ½ cup of lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper (leave some paper hanging on two sides, it will help to remove the creamy lemon squares).
- Break up the graham crackers. Then, add them to a food processor. Pulse until crumbled. Add sugar and melted butter. Pulse one more time until combined.
- Add this crumble mixture to the prepared pan. Then, press this mixture firmly into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the pan to create a crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the crust cool completely in the pan.
- Make the creamy filling while the crust is cooling. Add condensed milk and egg yolk to a bowl. Whisk until smooth. You can use an electric mixer or use a whisker. Then, add fresh lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- When the graham cracker crust has cooled, pour this creamy lemon filling into it. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is browned. Let the creamy square completely cool in the pan on a cooling rack. You can also refrigerate the lemon squares after cooling to room temperature; it makes the creamy lemon squares firmer. Then, remove the lemon square from the pan using the hanging parchment paper, and place it on a cutting board. Cut the lemon square into 16 mini squares or 9 bigger squares.