I’m not sure what “forgotten chicken” means, but when I came across this recipe, it was the first thing that caught my attention. After many times making this, I’m sure the name refers to the fact that you just throw everything into the casserole dish and forget about it! The oven really does all the cooking here.
Almost no prep work required other than opening cans. The flavor of the rice is amazing and the onion soup gives the chicken breasts the most delicious flavor.
Believe me when I tell you that you will not find an easier and tastier recipe.
Just imagine rice and chicken breasts with cream of mushrooms and cream of chicken. Nothing else needed to give this dish flavor, and the best part, you will mix and “forget all about it”.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH FORGOTTEN CHICKEN?
All this recipe needs to be a complete meal, is a salad or steamed veggies. If you want to keep your calories low, steam some broccoli florets and carrot slices and you’re good to go!
FREEZE COOKED CHICKEN BREASTS;
You definitely can. What you cannot do is freeze uncooked breasts that have already been thawed.
Cook your chicken breasts, wait for them to completely cool down, wrap them in plastic wrap, and then you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
- If you cannot find Minute rice, regular white rice is perfectly ok to use. All you need to do is add half a can more of water to the rice mixture.
- To ensure proper cooking of the chicken breasts, make sure they are all roughly the same size. If you have one that is a bit bigger, slice it in half lengthwise or flatten it a bit to make it the same size as the others.
- Be sure to shake the bag containing the onion soup mix to make sure you are getting equal amounts of dried onion and seasoning on each chicken breast.
- If you feel the rice is fully cooked and you still have too much liquid, remove foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
AMAZING FORGOTTEN CHICKEN
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Minute rice
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of water (I use one of the soup cans)
- 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease a 9x13” casserole dish
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup, Minute rice, and one can of water.
- Mix well and pour into the prepared casserole dish. Arrange the chicken breasts over the rice mixture.
- Sprinkle the lipton onion soup mix evenly over the chicken breasts
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.