This is one of my favorite one-pot recipes. Without a doubt, it exceeded my expectations. Easy and mess-free with very little prep work and loaded with flavor.
You won’t believe how fluffy and flavorful the rice is and how tender and juicy the chicken is. My family loves baked chicken and rice day. It’s the one meal everyone can agree on. It is not only good for family nights though.
You can serve this to guests any day. It is that spectacular, believe me! This and an easy salad and you’re done.
But please, don’t take my word for it, go ahead and make it (you’ll be so glad you did!)
HOW DO YOU MAKE OVEN BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE FROM SCRATCH?
- Step 1. preheat oven to 350F
- Step 2. In a 9×13” baking dish, scatter onion and place cut butter pieces on top
- Step 3. Bake for 15 mins, or until you see some brown pieces of onion.
- Step 4. Mix your spices for the chicken rub
- Step 5. Rub chicken pieces on both sides with a spice mix
- Step 6. Place rice on top of baked onions and mix
- Step 7. Add chicken stock and water to rice
- Step 8. Place chicken pieces on top of rice mixture
- Step 9. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Step 10. Remove foil, spray thighs with oil spray and bake 20 minutes more, uncovered.
DO YOU HAVE TO COOK RICE BEFORE PUTTING IT IN A CASSEROLE?
Definitely not! This is the great thing about this casserole. You add uncooked rice and chicken stock/water mixture and it cooks all by itself inside the oven.
Just make sure you cover your casserole for the first 30 minutes of cooking time. Rice comes out perfectly done and fluffy!
WHAT GOES WITH OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE?
This is a complete meal all by itself, but if you want to complement it with something else, just add a salad or some steamed veggies with butter and herbs.
I love to serve it with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
CAN YOU REHEAT OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE?
You certainly can. My pro tip here is just added a tablespoon of water to the rice before heating it up in the microwave, and it will come out like just baked!
Cover your dish before putting it in the oven and the chicken will too come out really tender and juicy. You can refrigerate this recipe for up to 5 days. Store it well covered in your fridge to keep it from drying out.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- WHITE WINE PARMESAN CHICKEN
- EASY CHICKEN LOMBARDY
- FRENCH ONION CHICKEN BAKE
- BAKED SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- CRISPY CHEDDAR CHICKEN
- CHICKEN PICCATA WITH LEMON SAUCE
- CAJUN CHICKEN WITH BELL PEPPERS
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
- 5 bone-in chicken thigh fillets, skin off
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter cut Into pieces
- 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice (long-grain, jasmine, or basmati work great)
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 ¼ cups water
- Oil spray
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a 9x13” baking dish, scatter onion and place cut butter pieces on top
- Bake for 15 mins, or until you see some brown pieces of onion.
- Mix your spices for the chicken rub
- Rub chicken pieces on both sides with a spice mix
- Place rice on top of baked onions and mix
- Add chicken stock and water to rice
- Place chicken pieces on top of rice mixture
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minute
- Remove foil, spray thighs with oil spray and bake 20 minutes more, uncovered.