Let’s explore this delicious lasagna with cottage cheese recipe.
It is an easy recipe with a variety of delectable flavors. It is a comforting and hearty meal that you can enjoy whenever you want something rich and fancy, yet easy to make.
This recipe features ground beef with a motley of spices, a spatter of spaghetti sauce, and garnish of melted cheese. You can also add a sprinkle of oregano to give it more flavor.
The garlic powder in the recipe adds a different edge to the taste, making it the best lasagna in the world. Classic Lasagna also boasts of different types of cheese from mozzarella and parmesan to cottage cheese. It is a saucy and flavorful recipe that will surely impress all your guests.
You can garnish it with chopped parsley and basil with a drizzle of sauce. You can also jazz it up with fresh vegetables and herbs. If you want to get fancier, serve it with a leafy salad and crusty garlic bread. So, let’s answer a few questions about the recipe.
Which is better for lasagna cottage or ricotta?
Opting for either cottage cheese or ricotta is more of a personal preference than anything else. You will find different opinions from everyone.
I use cottage cheese because it adds a delicious taste to the lasagna. I would suggest that you try both the cheese and decide which flavor you like more.
How do you make lasagna sauce?
Place the beef in a skillet and cook it over medium heat until it is brownish. Then, add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, chopped onions, and spices. If you are a fan of garlic, you can add that too.
Next, simmer the mixture over medium heat for another half an hour. Make sure that you stir it occasionally.
Everyone makes a different version of the sauce. You can experiment with the ingredients add tweak them according to your own preferences. An essential tip is to use fresh ingredients. The fresh sauce tastes much better than store-bought sauce.
How do you make the best homemade lasagna?
It is a good idea to make the sauce one day before. Also, allow the lasagna to sit for half an hour. You can even put it in the refrigerator overnight and bake it the next day. This gives the flavors time to meld together.
Does traditional lasagna have ricotta?
The traditional pasta doesn’t have ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. It is simply made with bechamel white sauce and a red tomato sauce. It also has Bolognese and parmesan cheese.
However, you can tweak with the recipe according to your own preferences.
HOW TO MAKE Classic Lasagna
- For the meat
- • 600 g ground beef
- • 400 g of pork
- • 2 tbsp oil
- • 3 large onions, 300 g approx
- • 2 cloves of garlic
- • 2 large carrots, 300 g approx
- • 10 ripe tomatoes, 800 g approx
- • 4 tbsp tomato paste
- • 2 celery stalks
- • 1 tsp oregano
- • 1 tsp french herbs
- • 4 cups of vegetable broth, or beef broth.
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Bechamel sauce
- • 2 cups of milk
- • 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- • 4 tablespoons butter
- • 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- • A pinch of nutmeg
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- For the lasagna assembly
- • 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- • 1 cups mozzarella cheese
- • ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- • 2 packages of lasagna pasta
- • 3 tbsp of oil
- • 1 tsp salt
- For the meat:
- Peel the onion, carrot, and tomato; and diced (brunoise). Wash the celery and cut it finely.
- In a large, thick pot, place two tablespoons of oil; Sauté the onion and garlic.
- When the onion is transparent add the carrot and celery and cook about five minutes until golden brown.
- Then add the ground pork and shred with the help of a kitchen palette. Repeat the same procedure with beef.
- While the meat is cooking, integrate them with the palette. When the meat has lost its pink color, add the tomato, tomato paste, and broth.
- Cook covered over low heat for approximately 90 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When the broth has evaporated, season with spices, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir once more and reserve covered while preparing pasta and béchamel sauce.
- For the béchamel sauce:
- In a pot, place the butter, when melted, add the wheat flour and stir, a thick paste will form which is the base of the béchamel sauce.
- Add the milk and stir until the paste dissolves completely.
- Continue stirring, without letting the sauce burn at the bottom, or lumps form.
- When the bechamel becomes thick, add the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- For lasagna:
- Cook the pasta, following the manufacturer's instructions. It is advisable to add salt and oil to the water in which you will cook the pasta. Place the sheets of cooked pasta on a flat surface, separated from each other.
- Preheat the oven to 150 ° C / 300 ° F. Prepare a large rectangular mold, lightly grease with oil or butter.
- Place about four tablespoons of béchamel in the base of the mold. Then add: a simple layer of pasta, a generous layer of meat, a layer of bechamel and finally a handful of cottage cheese or shredded ricotta. Repeat this procedure until the lasagna container is filled. . Repeat this procedure until the lasagna container is filled.
- In the last layer, place meat, bechamel, and all mozzarella cheese. Add two more tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and bake for about an hour.
- When the lasagna is golden brown, remove it from the oven and let it sit for about fifteen minutes before serving.
I use parsley and basil for a green pasty that is a true delight.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT