I so love fish, especially salmon. I love it even more than meat. And you knew how much you can cook from it, based only on cooking methods?
It can be salt salmon, baked salmon, steamed, boiled, salmon stew. A separate pleasure is the preparation of salmon according to different cultural traditions. Each country has its own special dish of fish.
The French have bouillabaisse, the Portuguese have bacalhoada, New England have chowder and San Francisco have cioppino, in Brazil make a savory fish stew called “moqueca”.
I highly recommend preparing at least one of these dishes and you are sure to find your favorite. Even people who say they don’t like fish change their minds when they try fish cooked in different ways.
Today I propose to stop at the Mexican cuisine and try this amazing dish.
Brazilian thick fish soup or stew with salmon is amazing. It made of salmon slices, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cilantro, ground cumin, and coconut milk.
Spicy thick salmon stew is usually cooked and served in clay pots. Moqueca provides for the use of white fish, but in this recipe, we will focus on salmon. A simple and quick recipe to cook will surely appeal to lovers of fish dishes.
WHAT HOT SAUCE SHOULD I USE?
In this dish, we do not use any sauce. The sauce is obtained after cooking, when salmon oil, coconut milk, and spices are mixed.
HOW LONG WILL FISH STEW KEEP?
After cooking, the fish stew should be stored in the refrigerator. It can be stored for 4-5 days. If you need to keep it longer, then it is better to freeze in containers in the freezer.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH FISH STEW?
A variety of side dishes can be served with fish stew. Rice and baked vegetables are the best. Also, fish stew can be served as an independent dish, adding breadsticks.
HOW TO MAKE BRAZILIAN FISH STEW?
Cooking Mexican fish stew is easy. By name, the dish seems complicated, but it is not. Follow the instructions and you will succeed.
TIPS to make Brazilian Salmon Stew
Instead of lime juice, you can use lemon juice.
Be careful with pepper. If you are not a fan of very hot, please halve the amount of pepper.
Use only fresh fish and vegetables.
You can bring the dish to a boil on a stove, and stew it in the oven at a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius for 40-60 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE Brazilian Salmon Stew
- The cloves from 1/2 head of garlic, peeled, crushed, minced
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1 Tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- For fish stew:
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of salmon, cut into 2-inch pieces (largish-bite sized pieces)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, de-stemmed, and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can regular (not light) coconut milk
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, 1-2 cups
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and fill them with chopped salmon. Cover with cling film and put marinating in the refrigerator for 2 hours, but if time allows you, it is best for the night.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into the bottom of the pan or Dutch oven and lay out a layer of chopped onion, then a layer of chopped bell pepper and a layer of sliced tomatoes. On top lay the pickled fish fillet, and on top of it again a layer of onions, bell pepper and tomatoes.
- The top layer of tomatoes generously salt and pepper and sprinkle with half chopped cilantro. Pour in coconut milk and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the open stew on medium heat, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a minimum, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are fully cooked. A couple of minutes before complete readiness, add the remaining cilantro, remove the stew from the heat and serve.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT
Leave a Reply