Apple slab pie is an incredibly tasty and juicy pie! It holds a huge amount of apples mixed with spices. The entire filling is wrapped in a soft crusty dough.
APPLE SLAB PIE
This is a great and cheap solution in the apple season. And the amount of ingredients is calculated for a very large pie! Treat yourself and your loved ones with a sweet apple slab pie. Don’t forget to serve a slice of pie with an ice cream scoop, honey, whipped cream, or caramel sauce.
Despite the multistage preparation instructions, everything is prepared quickly and easily. You do not need special equipment such as a mixer, you do not need to knead the dough for a long time. Just mix all the ingredients and cool them in the refrigerator.
How to make APPLE SLAB PIE
- Step 1. To make a crust, measure out the flour, sift into a large bowl, add salt and sugar.
- Step 2. Add cubes of cold butter and combine with flour.
- Step 3. Grind the butter by rubbing it with flour with your fingers, a special knife or blender for baking. Do this quickly so the butter doesn’t melt.
- Step 4. When the mixture is crumbly and smooth, pour in 3/4 cup very cold water. Stir with a silicone spatula until the water is absorbed and the dough is drawn into a ball. If the dough is still dry and crumbly, pour in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and stir again. Fold the dough with your hands until it becomes a soft and crumbly ball
- Step5. Divide the dough into 2 parts, one part slightly larger than the other. Transfer the dough to a sheet of cling film and form it into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Use plastic wrap to collect the dough if necessary. Repeat the same with the remaining piece of dough. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Step 6. Take apples to prepare the filling. Peel and core them and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Squeeze out the lemon juice (it took me about half a lemon) and stir.
- Step 7. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, ground spices, and salt.
- Step 8. Sprinkle apples with the sugar and spice mixture, stir, and set aside.
- Step 9. Preheat oven to 375 F, oil a 10 * 15 * 1-inch baking pan. You can use a smaller pan (or two small ones) and that’s fine too, it just leaves you with extra dough. Flour the surface and roll a large piece of dough with a rolling pin into an 18 * 13 ” rectangle (or your baking dish size). Carefully roll the dough sheet onto the rolling pin and transfer it to a baking dish. Gently push the dough in and out into the corners. Place the dough pan in the refrigerator while you roll out the second sheet of dough into a 16 * 11 rectangle.
- Step 10. Remove the dish from the refrigerator, pour out all the apples, and distribute over the dough. It may seem that there are too many apples, but during the cooking process, they will decrease in size.
- Step 11. Using a rolling pin, transfer the second sheet of dough and cover the cake with it. Trim any excess dough to leave 1 inch of loose dough around the edges. Pinch the loose edges of both dough sheets tightly with your fingers and wrap inward.
- Step 12. Using a sharp knife, puncture the entire surface of the pie to release steam during baking.
- Step 13. Brush the entire surface of the pie with heavy cream or a beaten egg with water. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the filling begins to bubble through the slotted holes.
- Step 14. Chill the pie completely before cutting, this will take at least two hours.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT apple slab pie
- If using sweet apples, reduce the amount of sugar for the filling. If using sour apples, increase it.
- I highly recommend letting the pie cool completely unless you want a mess on your plate. You can even chill it in the refrigerator. This will make it easier to cut it into portions.
- Serve the pie with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, honey or caramel sauce.
The best pan for apple slab pie?
You will need a really large baking dish for this pie and this amount of ingredients. Ideally, it should be 10 * 15 * 1 inches. If you do not have such a pan, use the smaller one (11 * 7) – in this case, you will simply have any excess dough.
Or even two small ones (7 * 7). You don’t need to make two small pies at once, just keep the leftover dough in the freezer until next time.
How to use pre-made pie dough for slab pie?
Premade pie dough is a very handy solution. You can always prepare such dough in advance, store it in the refrigerator from 2 hours to two days. Or even freeze it and use it at the right time.
To use it, remove it from the refrigerator and roll it out with a rolling pin on a well-floured surface to the desired size. The dough is soft and can tear, so roll it onto a rolling pin to transfer to a baking dish.
Be sure to put it in the refrigerator while you’re making the filling or rolling out another piece of dough. It should be as cold as possible before baking. To use ready-made store dough, you need 2 boxes.
To completely close a large baking pan, you will have to lay 2 sheets of such dough on top of each other, then roll it out. Do the same for the top layer of the cake.
How to store apple slab pie?
This apple slab pie is best kept in the refrigerator. Wrap it in cling film or foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can eat it cold or preheat it in the oven or microwave.
OTHER APPLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
APPLE SLAB PIE
For the crust:
- 3 ¾ cups (470 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp table salt
- 3 sticks (24 oz or 340 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and kept very cold
- ¾ - 1 cup very cold water
For the apple filling:
- 3 ½ to 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and chopped into approximately ½-inch chunks (about 10 cups)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- ⅔ to ¾ cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like your pie and how sweet your apples are)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp table salt
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Dough: Mix sifted flour with sugar and salt. Add the chopped butter and grind until crumbly. Pour in 3/4 cup cold water, stir with a silicone spatula until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is still dry, pour in the remaining water. Use your hands to form a soft and crumbly ball of dough. Divide into 2 parts, one larger than the other. Place the dough on plastic wrap and form it into a 1-inch rectangle, do the same for the second piece of dough. Wrap them in cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Filling: Peel and cut apples into cubes, squeeze with lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, ground spices, and salt. Add the mixture to the sliced apples and stir.
- Assembling the cake: Preheat oven to 375F, oil a 10 * 15 * 1-inch pan. Take out a large piece of dough and roll it out on a floured surface with a rolling pin to 18 * 13-inch size. Using a rolling pin, transfer it to the pan. Carefully push inward and into the corners, and put in the refrigerator. Roll out the second sheet of dough to 16 * 11. Remove your pan from the refrigerator, pour and distribute the apples.
- Then cover with a second sheet of dough. Pinch the protruding edges of the dough tightly with your fingers and fold inward. Use a knife to puncture the entire surface of the cake to release steam during baking. Brush the pie with heavy cream or whipped egg with water.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the filling begins to bubble through the slotted holes. Cool the pie completely before serving.
- Butter can be ground with flour with your fingers, with a special knife or blender. If you do it with your hands, do it quickly so that the butter does not have time to melt.
- Do not knead the dough for a long time, it should not be homogeneous, inclusions of pea-sized pieces of butter are allowed.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least two hours. You can cook it the night before and continue making the pie in the morning.
- The amount of dough is for a large 10 "* 15" pan, but you can use a smaller pan or even two small ones. Or you will be left with extra dough.