When my vegan friends come over, I usually make some version of grilled veggies or mushrooms. This time, it was the combination of the two, which resulted in these vegan potato cakes stuffed with sautéed mushrooms.
The reaction of my vegan friends? A total excitement! The outside crunchiness of these fried potato cakes and the inside softness coming from its mushroom stuffing happened to be an awesome combination for most perfect vegan bites.
So, last night’s dinner was a time when my non-vegan friends wished they had signed up for a vegan option, too!
These vegan potato cakes can be made with leftover mashed potatoes, or if you always end up eating all of your mashed potatoes – just mash some specifically for this recipe. You won’t regret it.
If you are using some leftover mashed potatoes, make sure they are not too liquid. But if so, mix in some flour and they will be just right for shaping into potato cakes.
Vegan potato cakes are best when stuffed with mushrooms, but if that’s just too messy for you, you can also mix everything together and make some cakes out of the mixture. It will taste great, too!
As for the herby ingredient, I used parsley, but dill or rosemary would go perfectly here, too.
- 1kg potatoes
- ½ cup flour
- ½ kg mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ bunch parsley (or another herb)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes in water until well-cooked. Then drain and let cool.
- Finely chop mushrooms and onion. Then place in a lightly oiled pan and fry them on medium heat until all the water has evaporated (about 15 minutes)
- After 15 mins, add chopped garlic, parsley, and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Peel and then mash the potatoes, adding the flour and salt.
- Make potato cakes by first placing one tablespoon of potato- flour mix on your hand, tapping it lightly to form a thin patty. Then place about half a tablespoon of mushroom filling to the center of the potato patty. Cover with some more potato-flour mixture and stick well around to form a cake. Fry on hot oil for about 3 minutes each side or until they get golden brown.
- Serve as an appetizer, side dish or dinner!
- For a gluten-free version of this recipe, you may exclude flour. However, consider adding a ‘flaxseed egg’ instead, as the mashed potatoes may not be easy to form a cake with, in case flour is omitted.
- For a low-fat version, vegan potato cakes can be oven-baked, by sprinkling a non-stick tray with 2 tbsp oil, placing the potato cakes and baking them on 200o C for about 20 mins or until golden brown.