In some parts of the world biscuits are a way of life for many people; you will find them on their breakfast, lunch and dinner table. If you are not one of these people then try to must-try mile-high perfect biscuits to become one. They are fluffy and light in a way that can but invite you to sink your teeth in them.
Apart from being so easy and quick to prepare, these biscuits are on the love list of the overwhelming majority of sugar-enthusiasts because of their irresistible taste. Hence, if you still don’t know the secrets behind baking mile-high biscuits perfectly don’t miss out on our recipe and make sure to stick to it as it is the most perfect and ideal recipe.
- The way you mix your ingredients is the most important step to make the perfect biscuits because in this step you shouldn’t over mix the dough, otherwise your biscuits will be tough when baked instead of fluffy.
- Biscuits prefer your hands! Thus, do never use an electric mixer to mix the ingredients. Use merely a large bowl and a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients in the beginning, and then use your hands to mix and press the dough before cutting the biscuits.
- As you are told in the instructions try to press the dough to 1 ½ inch layer, just don’t stress over making it look perfect. Before you start cutting the dough make sure that your cutter is taller than it.
- You only have to press down the cutter to cut the dough do never twist it so that it doesn’t end up in sealing off the edges of your biscuits hence they won’t be fluffy when baked.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 c. buttermilk (the cheat version is okay)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water, divided*
- 1 stick cold or frozen butter, cubed
- 1- Before preparing the dough, please do preheat your oven to 425 degrees then use a parchment paper to line the baking sheet or you can replace it by a non-stick baking mat.
- 2- Take a large bowl to mix the dry ingredients you have which are: the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- 3- Make sure that you mixed the ingredients in the first instruction then use your hand or a wooden spoon to create a well in the middle of your bowl. And there you will have to add egg, buttermilk, shortening, 2 teaspoons of cold water in the well you created, then start stirring and mixing until the ingredients are well combined and the dough is well moistened but don’t over mix so that the dough won’t become hard.
- 4- Add your cubes of butter and start kneading it into the dough, using your hands. Try to do that on medium-low speed because you shouldn’t completely incorporate all the chunks of the butter in the dough this will help the biscuits be flaky and fluffy.
- 5- Put the dough onto a non-stick surface (you can use a non-stick spray if necessary, juts avoid flour as it will dry the dough) now, press or roll out the dough using a rolling pin to a 1 ½ inch thickness.
- 6- To cut out your biscuits use a round cutter. Then place the biscuits on the cookie sheet.
- 7-Before baking, sprinkle salt over your biscuits but don’t be generous!
- 8- Place the cookies sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet when you see that your biscuits’ edges take golden brown colour.
- 9- It is better to serve these yummy biscuits when they are warm and freshly baked. However, if you want to store them you can do that at room temperature for no more than days.