This Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe starts with a thick, creamy pudding full of banana flavor. Freshly whipped cream is then folded in creating a lighter than air fluffy texture.
The crispy Nilla wafers add a beautiful contrast to the creamy pudding, making this Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe, dare I say it, better than the original.
Don’t be intimidated by the numerous steps, this recipe is super easy to make. It does not require anytime in the oven, and most of the time it’s spent chilling.
Follow the Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to achieve the best results.
HOW LONG DOES MAGNOLIA BANANA PUDDING LAST?
The pudding can last in the fridge for up to 3-days but is best served within 24 hours of making.
BAKING TIPS FOR BANANA PUDDING;
- Make sure you cook the pudding for the entire 6-7 minutes, so it thickens fully. Nobody likes runny pudding!
- Work very gently when folding the whipped cream into the pudding mixture so you don’t work too much air out of the cream
- If you’re really in a rush to cool the pudding you can use an ice bath. Place the saucepan into a bowl of ice water and stir occasionally for 10 minutes until cool.
HOW DO YOU STORE MAGNOLIA BANANA PUDDING?
Cover leftover pudding tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- PINEAPPLE DREAM DESSERT
- PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKE ROLL
- EASY PEANUT BUTTER PIE
- PECAN UPSIDE DOWN BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
MAGNOLIA BAKERY BANANA PUDDING (FROM SCRATCH)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
- 8 tbsp granulated sugar (divided)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups mini Nilla wafers
- 4 large ripe bananas
- Combine corn starch, 2 tbsp of sugar, and salt together in a small bowl
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs for 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy
- Slowly whisk in the corn starch mixture until smooth
- Add milk and remaining 6 tbsp of sugar to a medium saucepan and simmer on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes (do not allow it to come to a boil)
- Carefully pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking vigorously so the eggs do not curdle
- Return the mixture back to the saucepan and add vanilla. Allow mixture to cook on medium-high heat until thickened (6-7 minutes) whisking continuously
- Remove from heat, pour the mixture into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly touching the pudding. Chill in the fridge for 3 hours.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whip the heavy cream with the condensed milk on high speed (about 5 minutes)
- Carefully fold whipped cream into the pudding mixture until just combined and place back in the fridge to remain cold
- Place ¾ cup of Nilla wafers into a Ziploc bag and crush into crumbs using a rolling pin or skillet. Set aside
- Begin assembling by spreading a thin layer of pudding in the bottom of your serving dish.
- Add a layer of whole Nilla wafers, followed by half of the crushed wafers
- Add another thin layer of pudding over top of wafers
- Add a layer of thinly sliced bananas
- Add another thin layer of pudding over top of bananas
- Add another layer of whole wafers followed by crushed wafers
- Add another thin layer of pudding followed by another layer of thinly sliced bananas
- Add the remaining pudding overtop
- Finish off by decorating with wafers, then cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving
- Serve by scooping out pudding into a dish and top with extra wafers and banana slices
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN A MAGNOLIA BAKERY BANANA PUDDING?
Each serving contains 330 calories.
I’m not a fan of banana pudding but this is fabulous! Husband loved it !
This is one of the best banana pudding recipes I have ever tried. My family absolutely loved it and gave requested that I make it again! Wonderful recipe…
Melia A Jacobs
I am in the process of making this dessert. Where do you use the sweetened condensed milk that is listed in the ingredients?
Hi Melia, sweetened condensed milk is added into step 8. Whip the heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk together,
Thanks for asking the question! I’m in the middle of making this too and didn’t know what to do with the sweetened condensed milk.
SAME QUESTION, WHEN DO YOU USE THE CONDENSED MILK?
IS IT ON TOP OF WAFER OR SOMEWHERE ELSE
Thank you for asking this question