This hot, fragrant meat pie has crispy edges and a juicy filling. I like it so much. I remember the flavor of meat pies from my childhood, my mother and grandmother baked them.
Classic Meat Pie
The meat pie is a real treat for the eyes and stomach. I suggest you bake delicious meat pies by frying them in a pan. I have been cooking such pies for many years and they turn out to be incredibly tasty every time. You can use any meat filling and any favorite spices for them.
I fry the pies in the usual way, in a pan with 2-3 inches of vegetable oil, but my mother prefers to bake them in the oven, which is also good.
Baked or fried pies, I still love to serve them with sour cream.
The meat pie is the perfect snack. It is not necessary to wait for a party to cook them.
Make them for yourself and enjoy this taste. Actually, you can prepare pies in advance and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before frying. I think this is great.
Well, what else can I say about them? You must cook and try meat pie! Crispy pastry, juicy filling. This is delicious!
How do you make meat pies?
To make this recipe from scratch you can use store-bought pie crust or make your own.
- First, cook the filling in a skillet.
- Then, roll out the chilled pie crust dough, cut out circles and make pies with meat filling.
- Fry in vegetable oil or bake in the oven. Enjoy!
Should meat pie filling be hot or cold?
The filling can be warm or cold when you make pies. It’s not important, because meat pies must be refrigerated before frying (or baking).
Baking Tips For Classic Meat Pie;
- You can also bake meat pies. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cooled pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 mins until golden brown.
- If you don’t have a 4-inch cookie/biscuit cutter you can use a lid or a jar to cut the dough.
- You can keep fried pies in the oven while frying the other ones.
Classic Meat Pie
- 1 lb ground beef;
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper;
- 1 tsp smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp chili powder;
- 1 tsp ground cumin;
- 1 tsp salt;
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper;
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper;
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil;
- 1 small onion, chopped;
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped;
- 1 jalapeno, chopped;
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced;
- 1 tsp dried thyme;
- 4 fresh bay leaves;
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce;
- 2 tbsp flour;
- 2 tbsp water;
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced;
- 5 dashes of Louisiana hot sauce;
- pie dough;
- 1 egg;
- vegetable oil for frying.
- 1. Add salt, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, cumin, white pepper, and black pepper, mix.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil, add ground beef and spice. Mix and cook for 8-10 mins over medium heat.
- 3. Then, add chopped onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno, diced tomatoes, dried thyme, fresh bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 15 mins until liquids evaporate and the vegetables become soft.
- 4. Add flour and water, stir until well combined. Then, add sliced scallions and hot sauce. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- 5. Place pie dough on a dusted surface, roll until ¼ inch thick. Cut out dough using a 4-inch cookie cutter. Then, add 2 tbsp beef filling to the center of each round. Brush edges with beaten egg. Fold the dough circle in half and press around the edges with your fingers and then with a fork. Place meat pies on a greased surface (or baking sheet) while making the rest of the mini pies. Put meat pies in the refrigerator before frying (for at least 30 minutes).
- 6. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan to 350°F. Fry each pie until golden. Then, place on a paper towel to absorb excess fat. Serve warm.
Just made this and so far yummy. I am putting it in the fridge for 30 minutes but then plan to cook it in the oven.
Any suggestions on how long?
For 30-40 mins until golden brown! I’d love to know how it turns out.
Can I use can biscuit to make it with.and fry or bake?
Sorry for the late reply. 🙁
Yes, you can use canned biscuits instead of pie dough.
What pie crust recipe do you use for your meat pies?
So sorry, this comment got snared in the spam filter!
I used homemade pie crust, It will work with store-bought too!